The local police service that works for you
Surrey Police Service Holds Inaugural Swearing-in CeremonyOn Friday, July 16, 2021, 46 Surrey Police Service (SPS) officers were sworn in at Surrey City Hall.
Surrey Police Service approved to have officers take policing oathOn June 28, 2021, Surrey Police Service (SPS) received approval from the Policing and Security Branch of the British Columbia Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, for members to take the policing oath/affirmation pursuant to Section 70 of the Police Act.
Surrey Police Service Launch First Community Consultation InitiativeThe Surrey Police Service (SPS) is launching a multi-pronged community consultation initiative that will continue throughout the summer.
Surrey will have an innovative, modern, and proactive Surrey Police Service that reflects our diverse urban community and implements proven community responsive approaches to building safety and well-being.
SPS Crest Unveiled
On May 4th 2021 the Surrey Police Service shared the exciting news of the creation of its crest. The Surrey Police Service crest pays tribute to First Peoples, first principles and Surrey’s town centres.
Surrey is entering an exciting phase in its growth, and like other large cities in Canada it will have its own local police service, accountable to a locally appointed Police Board.
An independent municipal police service will:
- Continue to enhance community safety through community-responsive approaches to policing
- Emphasize collaboration with community partners to address underlying social issues
- Improve accountability through a Police Board made up of local residents
- Allocate resources based on local priorities and issues
- Respond quickly to address new and emerging issues (e.g., opioid crisis)
- Ensure policing and City priorities are aligned
- Attract and retain sworn officers who can build their career in Surrey
- Include members from diverse backgrounds that reflect our community
As Surrey continues to evolve and grow, our local police service will be able to respond quickly to the changing needs of our citizens.