Our world has changed – and so must policing. Surrey Police Service is changing the status quo, both in how we police and how we take care of our officers. We’re hiring experienced officers who want to be a part of a shift in policing.
It's no secret that change is needed in the policing environment in order for officers to do well and be well. As Canada’s newest police service, Surrey Police Service (SPS) is at the forefront of this change.
We’re changing things up for the better. We know that to make a difference, we have to be different: different in how we care for our people, and different in how we train our people.
Wrap-around wellness support
- SPS has a dedicated, full-time Wellness Team which supports employees in all aspects of their wellness.
- “Ragnar” is our Occupational Stress Injury dog who works exclusively with SPS employees.
- A Wellness Lounge is available, 24/7 to all employees to help them decompress at work.
- SPS officers are provided with 40 hours of wellness leave annually.
- A registered psychologist provides on-site services for SPS officers once a month, and additional services as required when critical incidents occur.
- Each SPS employee is assigned a dedicated Employee Services Sergeant to support their wellness, family, and career needs.
Consistent staffing levels
- SPS officers plan to spend their careers in Surrey and get promoted in Surrey. This means more stability and less vacancies.
- The SPS Executive Leadership Team is committed to advocating for the appropriate staffing levels for Surrey as crime and the community needs change.
- SPS will have two-person vehicles for select units for increased officer safety.
- Community Safety Officers will be added in the future to maximize policing flexibility.
- SPS supervisors have an average of 20+ years of policing experience.
- Our supervisors bring experience and stability to their teams. They are here for the long haul, building a deep knowledge of Surrey and SPS that will benefit both the community and those they supervise and mentor.
- Decisions that impact our officers are made by experienced police leaders at the local level.
- All SPS officers are trained in Gracie Survival Tactics and Integrated Communications, Assessment and Tactics (ICAT) as part of our advanced training in de-escalation.
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes are offered every week.
- SPS’s training facility features a full deployment mobile training structure.
- Learn more about our training for experienced officers.
Speciality unit opportunities
- 75% of SPS’s specialized positions have yet to be filled.
- SPS will have all the major specialty units expected of a large agency – from surveillance, to gangs, to confidential informant units.
- SPS is part of the Lower Mainland Integrated Teams, providing opportunities in forensics, police dogs, ERT, collision reconstruction, and homicides.
- Seniority at SPS is based on rank and start date. The earlier you join, the more opportunities you will have.
Modern benefits & salaries
- SPS provides its employees with a salary, benefits and pension package that is competitive with other Canadian municipal police agencies.
- View 2023 SPS salaries. 2024 salaries will increase by 3% per year (or matched to the settlement reached by Vancouver Police Union, whichever is highest)
- SPS officer benefits include maternity and parental leave top up to 95% of wages, paid wellness leave, and enhanced psychological services. View our benefits summary.
- Your years of prior policing service will be recognized when calculating your salary and annual leave entitlements.
- View the full 2022-2024 Collective Agreement.
- SPS hosts information sessions and confidential in-person meetings for experienced officers. Visit Information Sessions for upcoming dates.
- Watch a previously recorded information session: BC Experienced Officers; Out-of-Province Experienced Officers.
- For more information or to speak with a recruiter email at email@example.com or call us at 604-591-4084.
Get in on the ground floor where there’s plenty of room to develop an exciting and rewarding career in one of Canada’s fastest-growing and most diverse cities. Learn more about how to apply as an experienced officer below.